- Alex paces around, careful not to step on the bloodstain. Cell phone in her hand, practicing answering.
- Be-be-beep. Go for The Raven.
- (pause, breathes)
- Doot. Raven here.
- Doo-doot. Raven. Dirty deeds done dirt cheap
- (and again)
- Boop. Thank you for calling The Raven. Please listen carefully as my menu options have changed. Press one for political assassinations, press two for disappearances, press three for car bom--
- (start over)
- The Raven. I give new meaning to the phrase “I’d hit that.”
- Door CREAKS open. Baxter leans in.
- Knock much?
- PHONE RINGS. Alex bulges her eyes at it.
©2018 Michael Patrick Sullivan